Dig out your kilts and sporrans, tune up the bagpipes, and tuck into haggis for dinner. The Saline Celtic Festival kicks off tonight with the “Saline ShamRocks The Park” community party in Mill Pond Park.
- The gates open at 5 p.m. and the party runs till midnight, for the low admission of $5.
- Barleyjuice will play Celtic rock from 6:30 to 9 p.m. on the Brecon stage.
- The Square Pegz will play 80s pop from 8 to 11p.m. on the Red Dragon Stage.
- An authentic Irish Jam Seisun is set for 6:30 p.m. in the Dublin Tent.
- An Irish Ceili dance will be held in the Dublin Tent after the jam session.
- An English Country & Contra Dance will run 8 to 10 p.m. in the Edinburgh Tent.
- All dances will be taught, beginners are welcome, live music, no partner needed.
- Many of the Celtic characters from tomorrow’s daylong festival will be on hand.
- An assortment of Michigan craft beers and food will be available.
Then set your alarm clocks early, as the park gates will open at 8 a.m. tomorrow and the opening ceremonies are at 11 a.m. Millie the Mill Pond Monster will oversee a day of music, dance, jousting, Highland Athletics, Highland dance competitions, pipe bands, sheepherding demonstrations, living history re-enactors, merchants, textile demonstrations, Michigan craft beers, and activities on Wee Folks Island.
Celtic bands include RUNA, Jeremy Kittel Band, Prydein, Barleyjuice, Finvarra’s Wren, Fiddlers Restrung, Chelsea House Orchestra, Ann Arbor Celtic Harpers, Celtic Connections and Celtic Jam
Tickets at the gate tomorrow are $5 for ages 13 through 17; $15 for adults; free for active military, seniors, and children 12 and younger. Adult tickets are $10 when purchased online at www.salinecelticfestival.org or purchased at Saline City Hall today. Visit the website for more information on festival events.
Editor's Note: Celtic Festival organizers learned late this week that the Houghton Elementary School property is off limits for parking. Below is a PDF with locations of shuttle pick-up sputs.