York Township Home Gutted by Blaze 1 Day After Garage Fire

Local News Needs Your Support

Donation Options

 03/23/2015 - 17:57

Saline firefighters joined the battle against a blaze that gutted a home on the 4900 block of Willow Road in York Township Monday afternoon.

It was the second fire at the home in two days. A fire destroyed the attached garage Sunday afternoon.

Monday Saline firefighters were dispatched to the fire at 12:05 p.m. and were on the scene for two hours.

Todd Coffey, who grew up in the home, felt helpless as firefighters from Saline, Milan, Pittsfield and Augusta worked on the fight. His sister, visiting Florida, lives in the home.

“I grew up here. My grandfather built this home. Now my sister owns it and she’s down in Florida right now,” Coffey said.

After Sunday’s fire, Coffey visited the home Sunday and Monday.

“I contacted all the insurance people and I was doing what I could do. What everyone tells me is that they have repair teams that come out here and inventory everything, so I stayed out (of the home). The house wasn’t in that bad of shape yesterday – mostly suffering some smoke damage. So now many valuable things, that maybe I could have salvaged, are lost forever. It’s a shame,” Coffey said.

Coffey said firefighters told him that Sunday’s fire started at battery charger at a work bench. The blaze was worsened by a propane line. Coffey said he’d notified his sister about the fire.

Monday’s fire apparently began at about 11:45 a.m.

willow_road_fire_march_23_bu9a3992.jpg

 

 

Tran Longmoore's picture
Tran Longmoore
Tran Longmoore is a veteran community journalist. He is founder and owner of TheSalinePost.com. He is co-publisher of The Saline Post weekly newspaper. Email him at [email protected] or call him at 734-272-6294.

Follow the author on         or visit   Personal Blog