After five years of hosting the Farmers Market, Pittsfield Township is resurfacing and upgrading amenities at the Township Hall location. To accommodate this work, the Market will use Lillie Park South as temporary location in June and July. The market will return to Township Hall in August with a resurfaced parking lot, improved pedestrian and motorized accessibility, electric connections, as well as more bike racks and park benches! As always the market is open rain or shine, every Thursday from 3:00 – 7:00 PM.
The Market is a Michigan producer Market with weekly offerings that include local seasonal produce, grass fed and pasture raised meats (goat, pork, beef, and chicken), farm fresh chicken and duck eggs, stuffed pasta, honey, sweet and savory baked goods including gluten free choices, granola, natural personal care products, artisan goods and more. Market guests can also grab dinner from Earthen Jar and the Mi Compadre food truck for a picnic in the park, or take home a few days of prepared meals from Grace Savory and Sweet.
Opening day will feature family-friendly activities including live music from local singer and song writer Mia Green, hands-on plein air painting demonstrations hosted by Salt Valley Arts, Market Kids take-home sunflower planting activity, and a cooking demo featuring guest Chef Ji Hye Kim, Miss Kim restaurant presented by Taste the Local Difference and edibleWow. As a special bonus, the first 100 guests will also receive a FREE bamboo spoon!
Market highlights for the season include:
- I SPY a frog, scavenger hunts every 3rd Thursday of the month
- Live music performances by local artists such as Kevin Devine, Spencer Michaud, Oh Brother Big Sister and Corndaddy
- Ann Arbor Symphony Orchestra “Instrument Petting Zoo”(August 2) where kids can try out real musical instruments
- Monthly cooking demos featuring Chef Kristi and guest chefs from area restaurants in partnership with Taste the Local Difference and edibleWOW featuring ingredients from the Market
- Public Safety Day on June 28th featuring a firetruck display, as well as personal safety and fireworks information
The Pittsfield Township Farmers Market will continue to be a distribution site for Prescription for Health, the Washtenaw County program that encourages healthier eating by building relationships with farmers markets. Health care providers write “prescriptions” for their patients to eat more fruits and vegetables, which can be redeemed at the market. The market also supports Double Up Food Bucks, in which customers can double Bridge Card purchases up to $20 weekly for fresh produce. Additional accepted payment methods include cash, credit card (by most vendors), and SNAP/EBT for qualifying purchases. Check with individual farmers for Project Fresh WIC coupons.