Saline firefighters extinguished a blaze in a mobile home at Orchard Grove on Wagner Road in Lodi Township early Monday morning.
There were no injuries, Fire Chief Craig Hoeft. Firefighters quickly knocked down the fire, but not before the trailer was damaged by fire and smoke.
Hoeft said it appeared a squatter had been living at the trailer, owned by someone who resides elsewhere. Firefighters believe a log rolled out of an active fireplace, causing the fire to spread. The person staying in the trailer was gone when police and firefighters arrived.
A neighbor smelled smoke and called 911 around 4 a.m.
Tran Longmoore is a veteran community journalist. He is founder and owner of TheSalinePost.com. He is co-publisher of The Saline Post weekly newspaper. Email him at [email protected] or call him at 734-272-6294.