Fire destroyed three barns at the well-known Coleman’s Farm and Corn Maze on Jordan Road in Saline Township early Monday morning.
Tens of thousands of dollars in equipment were lost in the fire. Most of the animals were able to escape but several chicks died in the fire.
The corn maze will continue operation, owner Kirk Rose said.
“Almost everything I owned was in these barns,” said Rose, overlooking the smoldering remains of a big barn that contained tractors and other equipment.
Firefighters were dispatched to the farm at 4:14 a.m.
“The barns were fully involved in flames when we arrived. There was not much we could do,” Fire Chief Craig Hoeft said.
Firefighters contained the fire to keep it from spreading to nearby buildings, including the home.
“The fire burned quick, so the house was probably safe,” Hoeft said.
The cause of the fire may never be known, Hoeft said, but he suspects it may have been a heat lamp used to keep the young chicks warm.
“Whenever there’s a barn fire at this time of year, heat lamps are often the cause. It happens to often,” Hoeft said.
The fire struck in the middle of the busy season for Coleman’s Farm and Corn Maze. Krik and Kim Rose bought the 27-acre farm in 2005, creating a family attraction with a corn maze, hay rides, petting farm, u-pick orchard, pumpkins, donuts, cider and a hay pike.
In March of 2014, a barn fire killed two calves at the farm.