By the time the next Saline Area Schools Board of Education meeting happens we will be two days into the 2019-2020 school year.
As such, the meeting will be a great opportunity for the public to meet and greet some of the district's newest teachers, who Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources Curt Ellis said would be present at the regular meeting.
The district has hired many new teachers over the past few months in particular, with the number of retired or retiring teachers climbing as the district has attempted to replace teachers with seniority and the higher pay that goes with it with new teachers who will just start out on the district's step-based pay-scale.
Some of the newly hired teachers that could be at the next meeting are:
- Alissa Amell, Pleasant Ridge
- Madeline Berry, Saline High School
- Chelsea Cicero, Saline Middle School
- Hanna Kim, Pleasant Ridge
- Shannon Sweet, Woodland Meadows
- Brooke Szalaygi, Heritage
- Wendy Szuminski, Pleasant Ridge
- Katherine Wallevand, Pleasant Ridge
- Cole Witt, Saline High School
- Claire Burnett, Saline High School
- Barry Burnette, Heritage
- Elizabeth Buehler, Pleasant Ridge
- Chelsea Anastasoff, Saline Middle School
- Victoria Drotar, Saline High School
- Natalie Holbrook, Saline High School
In other news:
The cost of breakfast and lunch in Saline schools is increasing this year due to guidelines from the United States Department of Agriculture and the Michigan Department of Education.
In accordance with the Paid Lunch Equity Tool, the district's financials dictate that prices must increase in order for the district to have sufficient funds to pay for meals not eligible for the free and reduced lunch program. This is done so federal dollars are not offsetting the cost of fully paid meals.
Breakfast prices at the elementary schools, middle school, and high school will increase from $1.70 to $2.00 across the board.
Lunch prices at the elementary school buildings will increase from $2.50 to $2.75 and at the middle school level from $2.75 to $3.00.
Lunch at the high school level will increase from $2.75/$3.50/$3.55 to $3.00/$3.50/$3.75